Community Park and Kids Castle Playground
Concessions: During athletic events.
Handicap Accessible: Yes
Parking: Free, in designated areas
Wi-Fi: Free, during park hours, courtesy of Armstrong
Park Features: Rotary Outdoor Amphitheater, Kids Castle Playground, Rotary Dog Park, 3 Picnic Shelters with grills and picnic tables (Jaycees Shelter, Lions Shelter, Rotary Shelter), Athletic Fields, 2 Sand Volleyball Courts, 5 lighted Baseball Fields, a lighted Football Field with bleacher seating, Basketball Court, 4 lighted Tennis Courts open to the public.
- Field permits are required to use the fields for organized play.
- Pets are welcome in the Rotary Dog Park (Community Park); along the Brush Creek Trail Extension (off Commonwealth Dr. in Thorn Hill Industrial Park) and along the 2 miles of trails at the Leashed Dog Area Rules at the North Boundary Park Disc Golf Nature Trail
- Alcohol permitted in the Park by Permit Only.
- Off-road vehicles are not permitted.
- Skateboarding is not permitted. Skateboarding is permitted in the AE Ride Skate Park behind the Municipal Center.
- Review the complete rules guiding the safe use of our Parks
- Parks and/or fields may be closed due to weather conditions.
Kids Castle Playground
Kids Castle playground, in Cranberry Township’s Community Park, creates a fantasy world of sights, sounds, and play equipment, specifically designed for children ages 2 through 12. Climbing, bouncing, rolling and swinging equipment appropriate for children of different ages, is arranged into three themed play areas, corresponding to the Cranberry of Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.
The play apparatus in each of three areas was selected to reflect the technology and culture of its time.
- The Past area consists of swings, climbing spaces, rolling hills, and spring-mounted riding animals.
- The Present area incorporates the features most requested by the students surveyed, including many of the same features found in Playground Palace.
- The Future area includes futuristic EVOS play structures, Mobius climbers, a bubble rider, and other leading-edge equipment.
In addition, the playground includes common areas, a small circular brick stage, terraced steps, walkways, open areas, trees and adjacent child-friendly restrooms.
Kids Castle’s landscaping features picnic tables, benches, and decorative pathways, all of which are fully handicap accessible and built to current standards of playground safety as well as expectations of creating a memorable time. Free parking for parents and guardians is available adjacent to the playground.
Kids Castle is a community-built playground and it replaced a 22-year old wooden known as Playtime Palace. It was dedicated in late September 2013. Construction involved approximately 300 community volunteers, in addition to work by the Township's Public Works personnel and the project contractor.
Donations from residents, local businesses, Cranberry Township Community Chest (CTCC) and the Cranberry CUP organization, together with contributions from the municipal government of Cranberry Township, financed the $500,000 facility, as the 2013 Project of the Year.
Play Pittsburgh, a group of real Moms and kids who know how to have fun, blog about great places for families in the Pittsburgh area. In their words, “Kids Castle in Cranberry is, hands down, the most amazing playground we’ve ever been to in Pittsburgh.” Read more about their visit…